Nici invidia, nici gelozia nu sunt sentimente plăcute. Invidiezi pe cineva atunci când îți dorești ceva ce altcineva are și tu nu ai, iar jelozia o simți atunci când îți este teamă că cineva ar dori să îți ia ceva ce tu ai. Dacă dorești mașina decapotabilă a vecinei, vei simți invidie. Dacă aceasta îți ia soțul la plimbare cu mașina ei decapotabilă, vei simți gelozie.
Envy = a painful awareness of another’s possessions or advantages and a desire to have them too
1. Their exotic vacations inspired envy in their friends.
2. The American university system is the envy of the world.
3. Her envy of her neighbor’s fancy clothes wrecked their friendship.
Jealousy = that unpleasant emotion you feel when you think someone’s trying to take what’s yours
1. In Shakespeare, Othello is doomed by jealousy.
2. Recent studies have been turning up evidence that dogs do demonstrate complicated emotions like jealousy.
3. Jealousy is as easily awakened as it is hardly put to sleep.
You can feel envy about something you don’t have but want, but you feel jealousy over something you already have but are afraid of losing, like that husband who’s always hanging out next door.